November 15, 2013

Filling the Well

Since moving to the Gulf Coast four years ago, I've missed a few things about "home." Even though I live less than five minutes from the beach and love the beauty of the Gulf and the white sand beaches. I still miss the mountains desperately. I also miss autumn. 

We have autumn here on the edge of the world, but it's not like the autumns I'm used to. Leaves don't change and fall to the ground here. Days aren't warm and nights aren't crisp and cool. We do experience a lessening of the humidity, for which I'm grateful, but the only other signs of fall where I live are the dragonflies and Monarch butterflies that pass through here on their annual migration south. 

Recently, I received an invitation from some writer friends to join them for a few days at a friend's house in the Smokey mountains. I haven't spent much time around other writers lately, and I haven't seen these dear friends in more than five years. Plus, as I mentioned a few weeks ago, I just love a good road trip, so I jumped at the chance. 

It was an amazing week, and I don't use that term loosely. Not only did I get to see mountains and changing leaves again, but I got to spend time around people who "get" me. We spent hours talking about shared experiences, the publishing industry in general, family and pets. We did a little sight-seeing, a little outlet store shopping, and a lot of eating, most of which was accomplished without the usual daily grind of cooking and washing up. 

A few of us even went ziplining--and by us, I mean not me. Honestly, there's no feeling I hate more than being high up and going fast. I'm much happier with my feet on the ground, offering my services as purse-watcher and action shot grabber. 

I didn't work all week and only checked my e-mail occasionally, mostly to make sure my family wasn't in mid-crisis since my cell phone didn't have any service. I drove home through Atlanta, which gave me a chance to spend time with a dear friend and her family, and also with my nephew, his wife and their new baby. I came home with my soul fed and my spirit rested, ready to buckle down and get back to work. 

My little jaunt to refill the well was long past due, and it got me wondering about my readers. I'd like to know about your experiences. What's the last thing you did to refill your well?


________________________________________________________________________

Jacklyn Brady lives on the Gulf Coast and writes the Piece of Cake Mystery series set in New Orleans. The series features cake artist and trained pastry chef, Rita Lucero. The Cakes of Wrath, book #4 in the Piece of Cake Mystery Series, is available now! 

Jacklyn loves to hear from readers. Connect with her on the web: Website | Facebook | Twitter

2 comments:

Ann Summerville said...

I just came across one of your mysteries and wanted to let you know how much I'm enjoying The Cakes of Wrath.
Ann

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much Ann. I'm glad you're enjoying The Cakes of Wrath and hope you'll like the others too. Hope you and yours had a great Thanksgiving!