January 16, 2015

A Story to Make You Smile

photo by Jasper van der Meij
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm tired of bad news. There's far too much of it out there to suit me. It's not that I want to hide my head in the sand and pretend that everything is sunshine and lollipops, but there's so much awful stuff, senseless junk and ridiculousness going on in the world sometimes I think I'm drowning in it. I'm feeling the need for something to lift my spirits.

Yesterday, my daughter told me about an article she saw on Facebook about a cat that saved the life of an abandoned baby in Russia. The story warned my heart, so I decided to share it with you in case you haven't seen it yet. You can see the whole thing here ... but in case you don't want to click through and see the story for yourself, let me sum up:

It seems that residents of an apartment building in Obninsk, Russia found a baby boy less than 12 weeks old inside a box that was meant for a cat that routinely hung out near the building. One of the residents heard what she thought was loud meowing and thought the cat might be in danger from a predator. She raced outside to save it and found the baby. The cat had curled up next to the baby to keep it warm.

This is a cat, but not the cat in the story
The baby was taken to the hospital, but the poor cat was clearly distressed. She followed responders to the ambulance and meowed in distress when they took the baby away. Apparently, she sat on the curb for a couple of hours, waiting for the baby to come back. Residents of the apartment building are now showering the cat with extra TLC and treating it like a hero -- which is only right.

So there you have it, your Friday Feel-Good. I hope it makes you smile.



________________________________________________________________________

No comments: