February 15, 2011

Dishin' from the Kitchen: Chicken Salad

I got this recipe years ago from my friend, Colette. Since then, I've made this salad for countless baby showers, wedding showers, and pot-luck parties. It's a family favorite, and as my daughters and my nieces started hosting showers of their own, the recipe made its way into their kitchens as well. Easy to make and delicious to eat! Just make sure to think in advance when you want to make it since it needs to sit overnight for best results. 

Colettes Chicken Salad
Yields: 20 servings
  • 6-8 chicken breasts - browned and diced. (You can use canned chicken also, but I like it best when the chicken has a slight crust from browning.)
  • 6 Tablespoons butter (You can use margarine, but the flavor is best if you use real butter) 
  • 3 packages Chicken flavored Rice-A-Roni
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract (use real almond extract, not almond flavoring) 
  • 1 cup celery finely diced
  • 1 bunch green onions diced
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 cup mayonnaise diluted w/lemon juice and milk, mix till smooth
  •  Rolls to serve 20.
Cook Rice-A-Roni according to package directions using real butter and almond extract. Add remaining ingredients and refrigerate overnight,

Serve with dinner rolls, crusty rolls, or croissants. It's also great off the spoon, but don't tell anyone I said that :) 

No comments: